Bringing life to research.
Few research methodologies offer as compelling a look into the consumer psyche as ethnographic research, and few research companies have as much experience conducting in-home ethnographic research as the team at Horowitz Associates.
This year, Horowitz Associates is offering you a unique opportunity to participate in a shared-cost videographic project, Viewing the Viewer: Cable’s Lost Generation. Focusing on the young, multicultural, tech-savvy, and always on-the-go 18-34 year-olds, Viewing the Viewer: Cable’s Lost Generation will examine the industry’s hottest topics, including OTT, TV Everywhere, second screen experiences, social media, cord cutting, and cord “nevers” from the demographic that knows them best! For a fraction of the cost of commissioning your own ethnographic study, you will be able to virtually get inside real consumers’ homes to see and understand how today’s most pressing industry topics—ranging from alternative platform use to multicultural programming to cord-cutting—actually play out in real consumers’ lives.
See a Sample of Previous Work
Sample & Methodology
24-26 households will be selected across 3-4 markets in the U.S. to participate in this in-home ethnographic research endeavor.
Our team of experienced ethnographers know exactly how to pick up on interpersonal dynamics, tease out
subtle nuances, and contextualize behavior in the household and family setting. Our talented videographers and editors know exactly how to weave together hours and hours of footage into engaging, insightful, and very enlightening videos. The presentation and videos we will deliver to you will provide color and vibrancy to the important research story you need to tell to your internal and external clients.
Click any heading to expand topic areas.
Technological Geography of the Home
- “Lay of the land” for screens, connections, boxes, and subscriptions
- What and who drives purchase decisions
- What influences where technology is placed in the home
- How placement of technology impacts usage
- Who uses what technology, and how
TV Genres and Viewing Habits
- Typical day in the home for TV viewing
- How they decide what to watch, when, and where
- Differences between what people watch alone and with others in the household
- How decisions around viewing in-language TV are made
- Frequency of watching English vs. in-language and SAP
- Feedback on Hispanic packages/bundles
Household Dynamics Around TV & Alternative Platforms
- Exploration of usage of alternative screens/platforms, and its impact on traditional TV viewing
- Who uses what screens/device/platform, where, and for what types of content
- How decisions to use/not use alternative platforms are made
- What genres are most impacted by alternative platform use
Attitudes Towards Providers & Future Plans
- What households think about their various providers, and what could be improved from a communications, usability, and packaging/programming standpoint
- Attitudes and intentions towards the competitive environment and cord-cutting
All Charter clients will receive the following:
Input on the Moderator’s Guide
All clients will be able to review and provide input on our field guide, to ensure your most pressing issues are covered.
Additionally, Premium clients will receive:
Company Presence in Moderator’s Guide
For Premium Subscribers, we will include in-depth probes about their company and particular areas of interest.
Video Montage (~30 min.)
A 30-minute video in digital and DVD format of the most salient clips and insights. The video will correspond to the presentation, but can also be used as a standalone piece.
Custom Presentation & Video
Custom PowerPoint presentation and 7-10 minute additional video highlighting in-depth findings about your brand and your key topics. Company-specific findings will not be included in the main video montage or presentation.
Our report will be delivered in PowerPoint format complete with charts, graphs, and written analysis.
Presentation of the Findings
In-person or webinar presentation of the findings, at your convenience.